14 Sep Annual Golf Classic for Education Celebrates 10 Years
FAIRHOPE, Alabama—It was a beautiful day at Rock Creek Golf Course on Thursday, September 8th as the Baldwin County Education Coalition celebrated the 10th Anniversary of their Annual Golf Classic. Presented by Baldwin County Sewer Service, the Annual Golf Classic is the Baldwin County Education Coalition’s premier fundraising event.
More than 120 players hit the links for friendly competition, networking, and to raise funds for education in Baldwin County. This year’s event raised more than $25,000 bringing the 10-year total to more than $250,000 in net proceeds to support education. Through the outpouring of support for this event, the Baldwin County Education Coalition has been able to make a big impact on education in our communities over the last 10 years through:
- Hosting the Annual Gulf Regional Innovative Teaching Conference (GRITC)
- Advocating for education funding in Baldwin County and in Montgomery
- Facilitating the Community Advisory Task Force for community input for Baldwin County Public Schools
- Coordinating the ACT Work Ready Communities initiative in Baldwin County
- Facilitating grant funding for Guided Reading Short Reads, Teacher Professional Development, and to grow literacy-building classroom libraries in every elementary school in Baldwin County
- Hosting the Annual Teacher of the Year Banquet to recognize every school’s Teacher of the Year
- Coordinating Baldwin County Public Schools Strategic Plan steering committee sessions
- Launching the Faith Based Initiative – an effort to connect churches with the schools in their local communities
- Launching Palm Project – an initiative to provide tangible resources to students in Baldwin County to reduce barriers to learning, enhance academic achievement and support social-emotional development.
Baldwin County Sewer Service began the tournament in 2012 and selected the Coalition as their beneficiary as proceeds are used to serve the entire county. Since that inaugural tournament, Baldwin County Sewer has remained the Coalition’s largest corporate sponsor.
“The impact of the Golf Classic has been a financial game changer that has allowed the Coalition to support education in Baldwin County at a higher level,” said Terry Burkle, Executive Director. “The generosity of Baldwin County Sewer Service to host the annual event along with all of the sponsors and teams who support us annually is greatly appreciated and is truly making a positive impact on education.”
With tough competition, Identity Signs took 1st place in this year’s tournament. They were followed closely by Larson Real Estate & Investments in 2nd place, Rock Cable in 3rd place, and GeoCon in 4th place. Longest drive went to Todd Thomas with the Stone Crosby team and closest to the pin went to Richard Teal with the Baldwin County Sewer Team II.
1st Place, Identity Signs
2nd Place, Larson Real Estate & Investments
3rd Place, Rock Cable
4th Place, GeoCon
The Baldwin County Education Coalition is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that mobilizes resources (financial, volunteer, and in-kind services) to meet the needs of our public schools. The Coalition’s mission is to engage community shareholders in public education and to advocate with one voice for the success of every child in Baldwin County. The county’s six education foundations provide programs and services to the schools in their local communities, while the Coalition focuses on systemic initiatives that impact every child.